bar Notification Subscription bar Newsletter bar Contact bar Employee

Connect with Clawson

Building & Planning

Vacant & Abandoned Structures Registration


Vacant & Abandoned Structures Registration

Per City Ordinance Chaper 44, the city council determines that the presence of vacant and abandoned structures creates an element of neighborhood blight. It is recognized that blight lowers property values, leads to deteriorating housing conditions, undermines the quality of neighborhood life, affects the public health, safety and general welfare and can also result in human injury and criminal activities. It is also determined that vacant and unoccupied structures occupy an inordinate amount of city administrative and ordinance enforcement resources. As such, the city council finds the prolonged presence of vacant and abandoned structures to be unacceptable to the citizens of Clawson.

Owners of abandoned residential structures shall register such properties with the city and pay a monthly administration fee. The duty to register an abandoned residential structure shall not require prior notice to the owner by the city. Registration of an abandoned residential structure does not preclude the city from taking appropriate actions to secure the property or to issue orders to repair or abate dangerous, hazardous or unlawful conditions or from acting to eliminate an imminent hazard to public health and safety.

If you own a vacant or abandonded strucrure, it is your responsiblity to register with the City. Forms for registration can be found here. 

City of Clawson | 425 N. Main | Clawson, MI 48017 | Tel 248.435.4500
Blair Memorial Library | Tel 248.588.5500 | see webpage for hours
City Hall Office Hours | 7:30 am - 5:30 pm Monday - Thursday | Closed Fridays
DPW Hours | 7:00am – 3:30pm Monday – Thursday | Closed Fridays
Title VI Non-Discrimination Plan | Website Privacy and Linking Policy | Webmaster

Follow Us On Twitter @CityOfClawsonMi

logo logo