Initial Business License
1. Consider a location - Make sure your business fits in with the zoning of that property. For more information about zoning districts, and permitted and/or special uses in those districts - please see the Planning & Zoning section. If your new business is a different use than the existing use for that property, you may require site plan approval from the Planning Commission.
2. Apply for a Certificate of Occupancy and/or an Initial Buisness License - In order to open your new business, you must submit an application for an Initial Business License license is required for each trade or business located within the City, and a Certificate of Occupancy is required to determine compliance with the Michigan Building Code for all of the following situations.
- New Construction
- Signiciant renivation of an existing struture for a new tenant
- New leases of existing structures
- Transfer of ownership of existing structures or leases within existing structures
Once you have your Initial Business License and Certificate of Occupancy, you're set to go! As you navigate your journey here in Clawson, please be sure to reach out if you have any questions or concerns.
Jon Weingarten, Administrative Clerk
Machele Kukuk, Interim City Clerk
425 N. Main St.
Clawson, MI 48017