Building & Planning Department
The Clawson Building & Planning Department is responsible for administering the Michigan Building Code, City’s Code of Ordinances as well as the City's Master Plan. We work with residents and businesses to complete building expansions and improvements, and implement local, state and federal policies and laws when facilitating new developments in the city. Each of these functions are designed to protect the health, safety and welfare of our community.
The Building & Planning Department plays an important role in implementing the appropriate measures to maintain the character and charm of city neighborhoods as well. This includes, but is not limited to, responding to requests for rezoning and special land use, reviewing business licenses, sign permits and coordinating the activities of the Planning Commission and the Zoning Board of Appeals.
Please use the guide for development here.
We are located at Clawson City Hall - 425 N. Main Street, Clawson, MI 48017. Within the Building & Planning Department, we provide the following services for the City of Clawson:
- Building Inspections
- Ordinance Code Enforcement
- Planning & Zoning
- Economic Development
Pre-Application Meetings: The city offers pre-application meetings to discuss potential development projects at City Hall every Wednesday. To schedule an appointment, please email the city planner at email@example.com.
248.435.4500 ext. 121
Building Official lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
Additional Links & Resources
- Building & Planning Department Permit Applications
- Building & Planning Department Schedule of Fees — amended as of 2/19/2020
- City of Clawson Zoning Map
- City of Clawson Zoning Ordinance
- City of Clawson Master Plan - 2018
- City of Clawson Master Plan - 2009
- Letter to Businesses on Rat Control
- Letter to Residents on Recommendations to control rodent populations
- Oakland County Home Improvement Loan Program
- New Homeowner's Guide To Soil Erosion Control
- Residential Wood Deck Contruction Guide