Welcome to the Clawson Historical Museum
The museum is closed until
February 4, 2018
CLICK HERE FOR UPCOMING EVENTS
consult our newsletter for the latest information on upcoming events
We will reopen February 4th with a new exhibit
CAMERAS AND PHOTOGRAPHY
Group tours and research times are by appointment
Curator Hours: 8-4 Monday; 9-5 Wednesday and by appointment.
Please call for a research appointment. Group tours are scheduled during hours the museum is not open to the public. Please call 248-588-9169 for an appointment.
About the Museum
The City of Clawson purchased the three story home in 1972 along with other property on Roth Avenue to provide additional parking and a driveway for the library. In November of 1973, the city council allocated two rooms on the second floor to the Historical Commission to be used as a museum.
The rooms were first opened with fewer than 100 items on December 11, 1973. By 1976, the collection had grown and artifacts were on all three floors and in the basement. On March 14, 1976, the entire building was officially dedicated as the Clawson Historical Museum. The first curator, Deloris Kumler, was appointed in August, 1977. She retired in December, 2007.
The house was built about 1919 by Oswald and Deborah Fisher and reflects the furnishings of the 1920’s or earlier. The archives contain over 5,000 photographs which are currently being digitized; a sampling of these are available on the website. A special exhibit room features a rotating display that changes during the year. The research room has Clawson High School yearbooks, city yearbooks, local history resources and genealogical materials.
The archives hold an extensive collection of newspaper clippings and over 5,000 photographs are stored and available for research, including early local newspapers on computer. Magazines, periodicals, catalogs, clothing patterns and fashion books are also part of the archives and may be viewed on request. We can provide copies of newspaper clippings, photographs and historical information to citizens requesting them. We can also scan photographs and other information that are brought in so that the copies can be filed in the museum archives.
The museum is owned by the City of Clawson and the operation of the museum is under the direction of the curator and the Clawson Historical Commission. Volunteers serve as guides.
Our general store exhibit on the 2nd floor There's always something fun to see in the
will take you back in time 3rd floor toy room.
Programs and Presentations
The Clawson Historical Museum offers a variety of entertaining and educational presentations and tours, either at the museum or your site. All programs are offered free of charge, and advanced reservations are required. Click here for more information on programs and tours.
The museum is looking for old movies of Clawson sites or events that can be converted to a video or DVD. Photographs from Kenwood School classes 1958-1959, Parkland School 1966–1972 and Log Cabin School 1964-1968 are needed to add to the archives. We are always interested in adding photographs to our collection - if you do not wish to donate the originals, we are happy to scan them.
The following items are for sale to aid the museum:
All items are available at the museum and Clawson City Hall and can be purchased from the Historical Society Website.
- Two Square Miles, the Heroes of a Small Town, volumes I and II, by Bill Hayes, $20 each.
- Pummychug, the foundation of the Village of Clawson, by Maurice Blair, $10. Children's story version also available for $6.00.
- Clawson, The Way It Was, by Deloris Kumler is $20
- Images of America: Clawson, $20
- Clawson Michigan baseball caps, dark blue with gold lettering, $10.00.