bar E-Notify bar Newsletter bar Contact

Connect with Clawson.

DPW & Engineering

Yard Waste, Trash & Recycling


Yard Waste, Trash & Recycling

SOCRRA Mixed Recycling

SOCRRA will have two major recycling improvements in 2017. SOCRRA will be providing 65-gallon carts for recycling collection to all single-family households in the SOCRRA member communities and they will be converting its Material Recycling Facility (MRF) to be able to process mixed recycling. Small SOCRRA Green Recycle Bins are switching over to 65 gallon poly carts. All Clawson households were delivered a cart during the end of August.  If your home did not receive a cart, call SOCRRA at 248.288.3222. If we get information regarding purchasing additional poly carts, we will post it on this page.  See below for more detailed information and frequently asked questions. 
New Poly Cart
Yard Waste Policy

COLLECTION Starts Wednesday, April 4th, 2018 

The Michigan Department of Environmental Quality (MDEQ) takes a very active role in enforcing the ban on the disposal of yard waste (compost) into landfills. As a result, the City of Clawson will only accept yard waste materials during the compost season. 

The 2018 curbside compost collection season starts on Wednesday, April 4th, 2018. Use Brown Yard Waste Bags or if you use a Yard Waste container they can be no larger than 35 Gallons and designated for yard waste only. Stickers are free and available at the Clawson DPW & City Hall.

In the absence of curbside collection of yard waste during the winter months, residents can bring leaves, grass, brush bundles and Christmas trees (No fees charged) after Tuesday, December 26th, 2017 until Friday March 30th, 2018 to the Southeastern Oakland County Resource Recovery Authority located at Coolidge Hwy. in Troy. The DPW will pick up fresh cut Christmas Trees curbside January 2nd thru January 11th, 2018. Weather permitting. 

 For further information call the Clawson DPW 248.288.3222. 

Trash Collection Reminders

Please place your bags and cans on the easement in front of your home or on the end of your driveway apron. Refuse not in containers must be properly packaged and place neatly at the street curb - not dumped or scattered.

Pick-Up is on Wednesday—City Wide. Collection trucks may service your street at a different time of day. Every Memorial & Labor Day, collection will be delayed until Thursday. If the Fourth of July, Christmas or New Years falls on a Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday collection will be delayed until Thursday. Remember that Rubbish, Recycling & Yard Waste are NOT to be placed at the curb earlier than 5pm on the day preceding collection.    

Bag weight limit is 40 lbs. Rubbish containers can be no larger than 35 Gallons with a weight limit 60 lbs. You can call Tringali Sanitation, Inc. at 248.585.9120 if you would like to purchase a larger poly cart trash can. They are the only acceptable cans larger than the permitted 35 gallons.

Yard Waste containers can be no larger than 35 Gallons and designated for yard waste only with a weight limit of 50 lbs. Stickers are available at the Clawson DPW & City Hall. You can call Tringali Sanitation, Inc. at 248.585.9120 and purchase a larger can for Compost but it must be marked with a Yard Waste sticker and always designated for Yard Waste. They are the only acceptable cans larger than the permitted 35 gallons.

The City's service provider is Tringali Sanitation. Please remember Rubbish, Recycling & Compost (only during pick up season) place out for collection after 5pm on Tuesdays and before 7am Wednesdays. Refuse, Recycle and Yard Waste containers must be removed from the street curb by the following day. 

 Make a Difference.. PLEASE RECYCLE
Additional information at

What should I do when I receive my new cart?

Start to use it! Residents may start using their new recycling cart immediately after it is received. Be sure to remove and review the information packet attached to your cart. 

When and how often will my recycling be picked up?

Collection will continue to be on your regular pick-up day, the same day as your garbage pick-up. 

What happens to the recyclables I place in my new recycling cart?

Once collected at the curb by Tringali, the recyclables are delivered to SOCRRA's material recycling facility. The facility is currently under construction to be able to process your mixed recyclables. At the recycling facility, the sorting of the different materials - paper, plastic, metal, and glass - is done for you!

What do I do with my old bin?

Your old bin is yours to keep. If you no longer wish to keep your old bin, please bring it to SOCRRA at 995 Coolidge Highway in Troy to be recycled. 

Why are we switching from bins to carts?

There are many benefits to cart-based recycling. The carts are easier and more convenient to use. They also provide a greater capacity for more recyclables – which means less material going to the landfill. There are financial benefits, too! Your city gets charged to dispose of trash, but gets credit for all your recyclables, so recycling more means an overall cost savings for your city. Carts also make curbside collection more efficient and safer. So everyone wins when recycling with carts! 

What if I do not want a new recycling cart?

Residents are encouraged to use the delivered cart for 2-3 months before requesting removal. We believe that after you experience how easy it is to recycle using the new recycling cart, you will continue to use it for your recyclables. If after 3 months you still wish to return the cart, please contact SOCRRA at (248) 288-5150. 

How much does the recycling cart cost?

There is no up front charge to residents for the new recycling carts. The purchase of the new carts was made possible by your community with the help of grant funds available from the Michigan Department of Environmental Quality, in support of the governor’s initiative to double recycling in Michigan within the next two years, and The Recycling Partnership. 

What happens if I move? Do I take the cart with me?

If you move, the recycling cart should be left behind for the new residents. Carts are tied to the household address.

See below for an updated list of what is acceptable to put in your cart.

All plastic containers (if it held something it is a container) can be placed in recycle cart or can be dropped off at SOCRRA's Recycling Drop-Off Center - no need to look for the number on the bottom of the container. Examples of acceptable material are water bottles, tubs, trays, buckets (kitty litter containers), milk jugs, orange juice containers, soap containers, microwave dishes, Cool Whip containers, butter tubs, shampoo bottles, molded plastic containers (like strawberry containers, plastic flower flat containers), etc. Please make sure they are empty and rinsed out. Soft lids that come on yogurt containers, butter tubs, etc. can go in the cart.  Also please remove hard plastic caps and recycle at the drop-off center. Plastic trash cans or even old recycling bins can be recycled at SOCRRA's Recycling Drop-off Center.

Glass Bottles and Jars
All colors. Remove metal lids and place them in recycle cart.  Hard plastic caps or lids recycle at the drop-off center.
Clean empty cans and aerosol cans, put in recycle cart.  Please remove hard plastic caps and recycle at the drop-off center.  Take scrap metal, pots, pans and small appliances to SOCRRA drop off center.  

Plastic Bags Cannot be placed in the curbside cart. 
The following are accepted by SOCRRA's Drop Off Center at this time: Clean, empty plastic bags from grocery/drug stores/dry cleaners/bags newspapers come in/ bread bags/clean empty trash bags. Place the bags in the Plastic Bag Shed. No twine or plastic handles please.

Paint & Chemicals 
Take to SOCRRA drop off center.
SOCRRA has a instructional video on unused latex paint proper disposal. 

No Batteries or Automotive batteries in cart (you can take them to the drop-off center).

Corrugated Cardboard, Paperboard, Drink Boxes, Boxboard
All cardboard should be placed in the cart. Fold, flatten, or cut down.  Nothing bigger that 3 x 3. Beware! Cardboard jammed into the cart may get stuck, so please follow these guidelines to ensure your cart can fully be emptied. Discard packing material, loose food or badly stained items. Remove all food, cellophane, liners. Empty food and beverage boxes, milk cartons, paper cups, drink & juice boxes. Flatten paperboard. Place inside recycling cart.  No hard cover books or Styrofoam take to SOCRRA drop off center.

Magazines and Catalogs
Glossy magazines and catalogs. May be mixed together with other papers, paperback books place in cart.

Paper, Newspapers, Glossy Ads, Inserts and Mail
May be mixed together with other papers, paperback books, place in cart. (No Kleenex, toilet tissue, paper towels or napkins.)

Telephone Books
Put inside recycling cart.

Hard Cover Books
Hardcover books can be dropped off at SOCRRA's Recycling Drop-off Center (cannot be placed in the curbside cart).

Materials Accepted at Drop off Centers
All curbside items listed, plus:

  • Automotive batteries
  • Batteries 
  • Office paper 
  • Cardboard 
  • Electronics
  • Paperbacks
  • Hardcover books
  • Plastic shopping bags
  • Scrap metal, pots and pans.
  • Styrofoam is accepted at the Drop off center. You can drop off the following items: cups, take out containers, egg cartons, rinsed meat trays, food trays and lunch trays. All items must be rinsed.  (No Styrofoam Peanuts) 
  • Paints, garden chemicals, automotive products, oils, household cleaners, solvents, insulin syringes, fluorescent light bulbs, and other hazardous materials from homes..

SOCRRA 995 Coolidge Troy(between 14 Mile and Maple, across from Meijer) 248.288.5153 Must show ID   

(updated 9/9/2015) ***NEW*** No Appointment necessary for Hazardous Waste & Electronics Recycling.


Take to: Novi Crushed Concrete, 46900 W. 12 Mile Road in Novi (free) 248.305.6020, T J Fiore Crushed Concrete for inexpensive disposal (33300 Mound Road in Sterling Heights) 586.939.6200. Otherwise, SOCRRA accepts at Troy Transfer Station for a fee.

City of Clawson | 425 N. Main | Clawson, MI 48017 | Tel 248.435.4500
Blair Memorial Library | Tel 248.588.5500 | see webpage for hours
City Hall Hours | 7:30am – 5:30pm Monday – Thursday | Closed Fridays
DPW Hours | 7:00am – 3:30pm Monday – Thursday | Closed Fridays
Title VI Non-Discrimination Plan | Website Privacy and Linking Policy | Webmaster

Follow Us On Twitter @CityOfClawsonMi

logo logo